Andrew has a formidable track record in parliament, serving as a Liberal Democrat MP for 18 years between 1997 and 2015. In and out of Parliament, he has always fought for the dispossessed and the vulnerable against a rich elite that still tries to exert so much influence here.
In the House of Commons Andrew’s voting record speaks for itself and demonstrates his unfaltering commitment to this constituency, even when it meant voting out of step with his party if necessary:
- Strongly opposed the Bedroom Tax with a Private Member’s Bill
- Successfully campaigned to remove the Conservatives’ 50% council tax subsidy for wealthy second home owners
- Worked with other Cornish MPs to win a £50 annual reduction on Cornish water bills
- Supported councils keeping Business Rates cash for local spending
- Successfully campaigned for the Grocery Code Adjudicator, a regulator protecting smaller farmers and suppliers from the bullying tactics of supermarket buyers
In the local constituency Andrew proved himself first rate, and everyone in West Cornwall knows someone whom Andrew has helped, whether it be with individual casework or a campaign on issues of local importance. He continues to work for the community today, and is director of Cornwall Community Land Trust, providing affordable rented and shared-ownership housing to local people.
- Campaigned for the re-opening of Edward Hain hospital
- Spearheads the local Save Our NHS campaign
- Long-standing volunteer at the Penzance Street Food Project
Read more about Andrew's work on his website at www.andrewgeorge.org.uk
Follow Andrew on Facebook
A summary of Andrew’s voting record can be viewed at TheyWorkForYou
More detailed parliamentary history can be searched at Hansard